Monday, March 28, 2011

Calamity goes under the knife, and I go under the gun. . .



Calamity Anna had a bit of "minor" surgery on Friday, and I've been taking care of her since.  Simple procedure or not, I was a nervous pervous, in contrast to her complete, zen-like calm.  Everything went very well, and she should be back to her old self in a day or two.  She's pretty much the same as usual - just slightly more demanding.  :-)

Anna participated in National Novel Writing Month back in November, and managed to finish an entire novel (which still needs some editing work done.  Hint hint!).  Come April Fools Day, the screenwriting equivalent begins - Script Frenzy.  I've been pretty good with my writing of late, but this seems like a great excuse to have a fire lit under my butt.  I've talked to my buddy Godforce Achin about having him write a novella concurrently, and he seems enthused by the prospect.  With movies like Battle:LA and Fast Five coming out, the world needs me now, more than ever.  I mean, I can't be any WORSE, right?

Zack Snyder's opus, Sucker Punch, opened at number two last weekend, losing out to the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid sequel.  Ouch!  Even worse, the critics are taking a dump on it.  I mean, from a technical standpoint, the guy is an artist, and he does have his fans amongst the pretentious film nerd set.  That said. . .  Man, are his movies stupid!  I think he finally broke me with his "autistically recreated, but somehow completely missing the point" adaptation of Watchmen.  I like seeing some conservative voices in Hollywood, mostly just because they're so uncommon - but is it too much to ask that they be a bit smarter?!

Recent Oscar cherry picker Tom Hooper has finally picked his follow-up film to the universally loved King's Speech - a feature adaptation of the musical Les Misarables, itself an adaptation of the 19th century novel by Victor Hugo.  Good choice.  The only problem is finding actors can also sing, in this day and age.  Please don't put the cast of Glee in this!

Neil Gaiman lets slip that he just sold the film rights to American Gods, and the director is someone "who has many, many Oscars, and is, I think, a genius".  Hmmmm. . .  Let the speculation begin.  I just hope that they actually film in The House On The Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment