Sunday, January 2, 2011

new year. same you.


So much of our lives in the new(est) millennium are focused on what's hot, what's new, what's current and fresh. We post to-the-minute minutiae on our social networking sites.

And yet, every time the holiday season rolls around, traditional salutations pop up everywhere. "Chrismahanukwanzukah" might have been coined in the last decade, but certainly the sentiment has rung true for ages. We wish good tidings to our friends and loved ones, whether intimately or broadcast on the 'net.

The worst tradition, by far, are the lofty new year's resolutions. "I'm determined to lose 15 pounds." "Every day I am going to the gym." "This is the year I will fall in love." Typically, we don't really expect that these resolutions will last. But why not?

I wrote a more detailed post on the first two at Moxie Does It. I believe in making changes for a healthy lifestyle, especially in modifying diet and exercise - but time and time again I see my friends making these determined statements only to fail or backslide.

Making goals is what helps some of us stay motivated - if we set deadlines, we're sure to meet them. We can plan tasks along the way, and even set up a reward system, and that'll help with success.

But, rather than posting your resolutions (that you will "try" to do, but will you really remember what they are even a week from now?) to feed upon likes and comments - try thinking more about New Year's Realizations.

Most of the great and fantastic things I did in 2010 were little challenges I set for myself. I learned to bake, got engaged, swam a mile. I couldn't have done these things without realizing that I didn't know how to bake; that there was really no reason to NOT get married to Frederick Frog; or that in order to swim a mile, I had to actually put on my bathing suit first.

Realize what greatness you are capable of. Realize what patterns you have that cause you sadness or shame. Realize the small changes you CAN make daily, instead of the big changes you hope to make some day. Figure out what it is that defines your life NOW, instead of what you wish defined it.

Planning for a whole year of satisfying results is a great dream. Planning to realize that dream takes effort.

I wish you a great 2011 -- one in which you can look back at the end, and measure your success. Success that came one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment