Tuesday, May 10, 2011

CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS

CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS (2011)
Director:  Werner Herzog
Starring:  Werner Herzog, Some Scientists, and Cave Paintings

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is the latest documentary from director Werner Herzog, the mad German who brought us such films as Rescue Dawn, Aguirre the Wrath of God, and Encounters at the End of the World.  Here he takes a 3D camera to France's Chauvet Cave - a place which contains the oldest known cave paintings, some dating back as far as 32,000 years ago.

There have been films I've seen where I would describe the 3D effects as "neat", but this is the first film I've seen in which the 3D is almost essential to the viewing experience.  The cave paintings of lions, rhinos, and other, sometimes extinct, animals were drawn on uneven surfaces, utilizing the light and texture in fascinating ways.  This is the type of film that I would usually recommend as a rental -but unless you have a 3D television, you owe it to yourself to catch this in the theater.

If you're unfamiliar with Herzog's previous work, particularly his documentaries, you may find yourself confused as to why he spends so much time interviewing a scientist about his time working in the circus, or why there's a side-trip to a nearby mutant crocodile conservatory.  Trust me - it all has purpose.  Herzog seeks to demystify what we predetermine to be "normal", and in doing so is also seeking out that which makes us fundamentally "human".

Seeing pictures of some of the earliest know works of art, alongside various pieces from other archeological sites, I find myself filled with a sense of true wonder and awe.  I'm forced to recognize that despite my lack of religion, there is something "spiritual" inside of me.  On top of that, I realize that several of my favorite films have a spiritual bent - 2001: A Space Odyssey, clearly, as well as even something as "popcorny" as Raiders Of The Lost Ark.  Quite possibly my two favorite scenes in Raiders are the Well Of Souls sequence, which plays out almost like a religious revelation, and the scene in which villain Belloq challenges Indy to blow up the Ark - Indy cannot, for he is entranced by the potential discoveries that sit inside, waiting to be discovered.

A strong contender for my top of the year list, and a definite must watch if it plays in your area.

FREDERICK OPINES - GREAT

1 comment:

  1. I've heard this is wonderful! I hope it will play in Tucson while I'm there (since it sure as hell won't make it to Middle-of-Nowhere, MN!)
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete