Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Horror Fan's Celtic New Year's Resolution

It was a good Halloween season.  I had my horror movie marathon, my horror game marathon, trips to some haunted houses, and a massive consumption of delicious junk food.  There was nothing left unchecked in my list of potential spooky activities.  But the time of passing is still a sad thing, and it breaks my little heart a bit as I take down my grinning Jack O'Lantern and gruesome spider decorations.

The spirit of the holiday can live on, as long as I rededicate myself to watching, reading and listening to stories of the supernatural and shocking.  I'm a lifelong horror fan, and it's always been my favorite genre, but I've found myself skipping over fright stories in favor of stories about things like romance.  Romance!  Not that there isn't room in ones life for all experiences, but outside of the last month I feel as if I've barely seen anything in which machetes were used with murderous intent.

So, my newfound resolve is to watch the films and television shows, read the classic and contemporary novels, absorb the paintings and comic books, and listen to the most horrifying works of music ever conceived.

There's a whole world of horror out there, and I've barely scratched the surface.  From now on, for me everyday is Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment